When you’re starting your business, you need to think about the branding of your business… and this starts with your logo. There are many different ways to go with your logo. I have broken it down into the steps you need to think about when you are starting the process of designing a logo.
Step One: Start on Pinterest
Starting on Pinterest is one of the best ways to narrow down what you are looking for, for your logo. At this stage just focus on things that spark your interest. Create a Pinterest board to add everything that interests you for your logo, as well as other aspects for you business. This is a very helpful tool for you and your graphic designer/virtual assistant.
Step Two: Find and Talk to your Designer
The next step is finding a graphic designer that you want to work with. Finding a graphic designer is important to all aspects of your business. This is the start to your branding as a business, and it is something you will keep for your business.
As a graphic designer myself, I work in a very specific way when creating a new logo for a client. I also have about 10,000 different fonts to choose from and I am constantly adding to my font library. I also have created a lot of different elements that can be used within logos and create you the perfect logo for your business.
Step Three: Go through the Process of the Logo Design
As a designer, my process can be a little different and can seem like a long process, but I do it to help you as a client not feel overwhelmed with this process.
- Consult Call: This step is where we will go over your Pinterest Board that you have created. We will talk about all the different things that you are wanting for your logo. This can include colors you are thinking, fonts you are wanting, elements you like.
- Logo Creation: Based on our call, I will then create FIVE different logos based on the call we had and the inspiration you have given. I create these logos all in Black, White, and Gray. I want you to focus on just the logo alone. If you want a font based logo, I will use a basic font like Times New Roman, so that you can look at the logo before we look at font.
- Narrow it Down: This is when you will narrow down the FIVE logos down to your favorite THREE logos. We can also take the time to change anything you are wanting changed.
- Font Options: At this point we will be taking a step back from looking at your logo. From the consult call, I will know exactly what you are looking for in a font. I will send you a ton of different options of fonts, and you can pick your favorites.
- Logos and Fonts Together: You will start seeing your logo come together at this point. I will take your top three logos, and add the font choices you made to them. We will still be working in black, white, and gray at this point.
- Narrow it Down: Once you have your favorite logos paired with your favorite font choices, you have to narrow it down again. Usually this process is a lot easier because you will know what you like and what you don’t like. During this narrowing down process, we will do it in two steps. You will pick your favorites (the number doesn’t matter at this point), and I will send you a document with just your favorites on it. You can take your time with this step.
- COLORS: While you are narrowing down the logos, I will send you color combinations. Based on what you are looking for, I will create a multitude of combinations for you to choose from. You will know which ones you like and which ones you don’t like. I always suggest choosing 5-10 color combinations for me to work with.
- Color and Logos Together: This is the fun part! I will take your favorite logos with fonts (3-4) and add the colors you choose. You will know exactly what you like and don’t like.
- Narrow it Down: This step is pretty similar to the last narrowing it down section. You will choose your favorites, and I will put them onto a single document together. This will really help you see just the ones you like and help you choose what you want.
- Small Tweaks: With your favorite logos, I can make minimal changes to them. Do you want a color a little darker or lighter? Do you want me to change the font size? Change the fonts layout a little bit? I can make these changes to help you with your decision. At this point, I might also make a few minor tweaks that I think you might like. These are usually adding more depth or changing small things that will enhance the logo.
- Final Choice: Once you have chosen your logo, I will send you all the files that you will need for your logo. This includes social media sizes, print sizes, transparent background etc.
Step Four: What Else can your Designer do?
Now that you have your logo, you are ready to jump into your business. Ask your designer about other things that they can design for you.
As a graphic designer and virtual assistant. I understand that there is a lot that goes into your business and things you need once you get a logo designed.
I also offer, business card design, email signatures, watermarks for images, website builds and website maintenance, posters, signage, and all branding materials. You let me know what you need, and I will help you create your brand.